Re: [squid-users] dns lookups

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 00:16:10 -0500

On 5/10/05, D & E Radel <radel@inet.net.nz> wrote:
> This is a real n00b question. Sorry. Our squid setup is working nicely and
> DNS is being resolved nicely for internet domain names no problem. However,
> local computer names are not resolved with the squid server. eg:
> http://my-server/index.html will fail.

Most people who follow this list will know what my automatic response is
to this question... Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) scripting!
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-5.html

> Our system is a Windows 2003 domain, so removing the proxy settings from IE
> will allow the local names to be looked up. So I guess something is not
> right on the squid machine. Is all the stuff I need in /etc/resolve.conf, or
> are there squid specific settings needed? Any pointers on where to look?

Are these names resolvable via a search suffix on an Intranet DNS server,
or are they strictly WINS domain names not visible to DNS at all?

If you use an intranet domain and your hosts are all in DNS, this can
be easily addressed with append_domain, as a simple google search
would tell you: http://nixdoc.net/files/forum/about28247.html

Kevin Kadow