Re: [squid-users] Password rewriting issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 06:48:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Scott Horsley wrote:

> scott abc#123
>
> would produce
>
> scott abc%23123

Correct. Documented in the Squid-2.5 release notes.

> This is obviously quite annoying as it restricts passwords to be plain
> alphanumeric

Rather the opposite actually. But your helper needs to know how to decode
the data sent by Squid. This encoding is plain URL encoding using %NN
where NN is the hex code of the "odd" character.

> A) This was normal behaviour

Yes.

> B) Is a fix for this?

Yes, make your helper support the format used by Squid-2.5.

> C) Am I doing something wrong?
> D) Do I need to adjust my helper to re-ascii my password in order to
> authenticate users?

Yes.

> E) Has anybody else come across this?

Yes.

I made this change in the helper format for Squid-2.5 it as there was a
lot of problems with non-ascii usernames or passwords. Most notably space
characters.