Re: [squid-users] Special Website Blocking for Each Client

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:26:07 +0200

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:51:15AM -0700, CHAT KHODA wrote:
> I wish to implement an "Filtering on-demand"
> infrastructure by using SQUID ,in fact I am going to
> delegate the right of defining BAD SITES to each user
> as a facility like parental-lock.
> Please guide me how I can configure to accept the
> requests frmo clients to block inappropriate web
> sites,or at least let me know whether it is possible
> with squid or not?

The simplest way to achieve this would probably be the so called
"external ACLs". You would send the user name and the URL (if possible -
haven't tried that) to an external script. The script in turn would
decide whether this URL is acceptable for this user or not.

The script could be querying a database of text file and use regular
expressions and whatever magic you like. Sounds like a Perl job but the
implementation can probably be done in any decent (scripting) language.

A pure Squid solution would be to use a file for every user and use that
file as input for ACLs. But then you would need to hardwire all the
users in your squid.conf which is probably not desirable.

 Christoph

--
~
~