RE: [squid-users] Broadcom Chipset with squid

From: Palmer J.D.F. <J.D.F.Palmer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:12:33 +0100

Hi,

I'm using a DL360 with the Broadcom chipset at 1000Mbs as a squid server and
have never had any problems, infact it's been very stable since I moved the
cache onto that box.
Previously I was running an LVS 2 squid server cluster (and a seperate
balancer) and the single DL360 outperforms the cluster quite substantially
and is far more stable.

That all said, I have about 10 DL360/DL380s doing various things, and a
couple of Dell laptops with the Broadcom 57** gigabit NICS in them and it
isn't good news on all of them.
We have had issues with poor linux drivers which an upgrade fixed, and have
had issues with the laptops running Ethereal under WindowsXP, they don't
capture VLan traffic properly. Strangely under Linux Ethereal works ok.

Cheers,
Jezz Palmer.