Re: [squid-users] RPM Question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:26:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, John R. Van Lanen, Network Operations - TCCSA wrote:

> I had to re-install my RHL ES3 servers again, actually twice. The software I
> wish to use looks for squid installed as an RPM to the server. Since I already
> know that the squid rpm install from RHL is buggy, I want install this and then
> immediately upgrade to 2.5Stable11, Is it possible to upgrade to Stable11
> without first removing the 2.5stable3.6, Will this break the RPM relationship
> with the OS. I know I can fake this out, by removing and installing 11, but
> then the relationship is gone.

The 2.5.STABLE11 RPM from Fedora 3 should work on RHES as well I think,
but you probably will need to rebuild it from the source RPM (recommended
anyway).

Upgrading should be completely painless once you have a RHES 3 RPM of
2.5.STABLE11. Just a normal RPM upgrade operation.

Fetch the Source RPM from Fedora updates

Build a RHES RPM by running

   rpmbuild -ba squid-2.5.STABLE11-xxx.src.rpm

Then upgrade your OS with the freshly built RPM.