RE: [squid-users] WCCP: Web Cache ID 0.0.0.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:51:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Shoebottom, Bryan wrote:

> Henrik,
>
> One question I'd like a firm answer to, I have heard to install the
> ip_wccp module and not to. Which should I be doing?

The purpose of the ip_wccp module is to decapsulate those GRE packets
carrying the redirected packets from the router, transforming them back to
normal TCP/IP packets.

If your router is sending you plain packets then ip_wccp is not needed.

> My understand is that the 2.6 kernel includes WCCP in the gre module.

Yes, since 2.6.9 or something like thath.

> I also understand that the 2.4 kernel started to include it, but I'm not
> sure when.

Not that I know of. 2.4.31 does not.

> With all of my testing, I have only been using the ip_gre module
> included in the kernel source.

ip_gre is generally preferred as it has at least a moderate level of
security. ip_wccp is very insecure unless you properly firewall your
server to not accept untrusted GRE traffic.