Re: [squid-users] Problem with FC3 and Squid, Dies by itself.

From: Covington, Chris <Chris.Covington@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:13:53 -0400

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:01:18PM -0300, Mantelli, Dami??n [ACARA] wrote:
> Hello, after all my SO is Fedora Core 3, and my Squid stable version is Version 2.5.STABLE11
>
> I have a problem in running squid. The squid dies by itself. The 'squid' status is as follows
>
> Squid dead but pid file exists
> Squid ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process <pid>(n) no such process
>
> If we start the 'squid' again, everthing works fine but squid dies again on its own after sometime.
> something like this:
>
> [root@gateway ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid restart
> Stopping squid: [FAILED]
> Starting squid: [ OK ]

Have you checked that your logrotation isn't killing squid? Have you
tried installing the latest version from source?

Regardless, what you should do if you need squid to run consistently
is to run squid under daemontools, runit, inittab, etc. so it will be
automatically restarted.

---
Chris Covington
IT