Re: [squid-users] Java Plugin With Client Cert Auth and Keepalive

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:02:22 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Seth Milder wrote:

> I have a Java Applet that connects to a site requiring client side
> certificates.

Then it's a https site, and the appliet connects via the proxy
using the CONNECT method, right?

> The site is running Apache 2.0.54 with a keepalive timeout of
> 15 minutes. As a result the applet prompts the user for a client side
> certificate on its inital connection and does not prompt again unless the
> user has been idle for more than 15 minutes. My problem is that when we try
> this through our Squid proxy, the Applet prompts the user on virtually every
> request, making for a very annoying user experience.

Sounds like a broken applet to me.

When using the CONNECT method there is a bidirectional tunnel opened
between the client and the requested web site. The proxy does not modify
the data flow in any manner or impose any additional policies on
keep-alive timeouts etc.