Re: [squid-users] Squid process not releasing mem_nodes

From: squid user <squid_user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:21:40 +0000

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of days on this problem and I've found that squid
isn't actually leaking the memory - it seems to be caused by memory
fragmentation!

Here's the memory information after downloading a 108 MB file...

Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
        Total space in arena: 60241 KB
        Ordinary blocks: 1895 KB 47 blks
        Small blocks: 0 KB 0 blks
        Holding blocks: 460 KB 2 blks
        Free Small blocks: 0 KB
        Free Ordinary blocks: 58346 KB
        Total in use: 2355 KB 4%
        Total free: 58346 KB 96%
        Total size: 60701 KB

Squid started at just 5MB
It grew to 110MB or so before I clicked save
But only returned to 60MB

I've tried the default malloc library, the gnu malloc library and the
dlmalloc library and they all show the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we could avoid this memory
fragmentation problem?

Thanks in advance!

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/