[squid-users] IOS 12.4(5) & Squid 2.5.S12 - WCCP Weirdness Ensues

From: Graham Blake <grahamb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:46:00 -0700

Hi there,
I have spent three days beating my head against a problem that
appears to be a case of dueling Cisco bugs.

I recently swapped a router out, replacing a 3640 with IOS 12.2 and
installing a 3845 with 12.4(5) SP Services. We had WCCP running for
eternity without problem on the 3640, but WCCP died an ignoble death
on the new router. It appears that WCCP would not work at all with ip
cef enabled, but with ip cef disabled, various and sundry websites
would not work - particularly websites requiring some form of
authenticaion - Slashdot, Hotmail, different web forums, etc.

It looks like the warring bugs are akin to CSCsb89463 (Symptoms: WCCP
doesnt redirect packets with ip cef enabled --- Workaround: Disable
cef with the global command 'no ip cef') and CSCdz36099 (Symptoms:
Web sites that require authentication become unreachable ---
Workaround: Ensure that CEF switching is enabled on the router). Cute, eh?

Supposedly CSCsb89463 is fixed in 12.4(5) - but it seems pretty
non-fixed to me. It seems the only way to get WCCP to work, and not
fail on authenticating websites, is to force WCCP through a process
switching path. I am doing this by adding a log statement to all of
my redirect-list permit statements. This is obviously an undesireable
solution for CPU reasons, and it has meant I have had to stop logging
to a remote host.

I am wondering if anyone has been through this with similar versions
of IOS, and has either a) found a better workaround or b) found a
happy working good version of 12.4 IOS.
Cheers,
Graham