Re: [squid-users] FTP Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:56:00 +0100

mån 2006-03-13 klockan 11:25 +0200 skrev Ian Barnes:

> I have a question about FTP proxying. My squid is setup and working
> perfectly, the only thing is that in internet explorer I have to turn off
> "enable folder view for ftp sites" for it to actually work. Is there a
> setting that I can set

You could ask Microsoft support to fix their browser to respect the
proxy settings even if this option is selected. Every user I have spoken
to finds the current behaviour of MSIE where it completely ignores proxy
settings for FTP if "Folder View" is enabled very confusing and would
prefer it to ignore the "Folder View" setting if configured to use a
proxy.

As already said there isn't much Squid can do about clients not wanting
to use HTTP proxies. To use Squid the client must be configured in one
way or another to use HTTP proxies for it's requests (manual, auto
discovery, domain policies, login scripts, whatever configuration means
available in the client). In MSIE for ftp:// URLs this includes having
the "Folder View" option turned off as the "Foleder View" is not proxy
aware.