Re: [squid-users] TCP_IMS_HIT - from disk always ?

From: Michael Pye <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:23:54 +0000

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:24:57AM +0100, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > The amount of reads to these small files though indicates that these
> > files are read everytime.
> Correct, and is one reason why noatime is a good mount option for Squid
> caches..

Yup I have that enabled.

> These two are not memory related. Perhaps you were thinking of
> maximum_object_size_in_memory?

Yes indeed I did mean the memory object directives.

> Hmm.. are you absolutely sure about this? My Squid does not show such
> symptoms..
> Note: The logs does not make any difference between IMS handled from
> memory or from disk. Both are logged as TCP_IMS_HIT.

Hmm ok, it's possible I have totalled the number of READ system calls
incorrectly. Because of the large numbers of READs I was assuming that a
TCP_IMS_HIT was _always_ from a check made against a file on disk and
not from memory. As you confirm that TCP_IMS_HITs can come from either
memory or disk I will check my totals again. Thanks for the confirmation.

--
Michael Pye