Re: [squid-users] Is Squid Resilient?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:14:39 +0100

mån 2006-03-20 klockan 18:21 +0000 skrev Neil Mc Lysaght:

> Wouldn't reducing the connect_timeout and forward_timeout values only
> result in a faster 'connection timed out response'?

Depends on the request. If it is a cache revalidation then Squid
automatically falls back on the old cached copy if forwarding fails, but
with these in the default setting the timeout is very long..

> Is the cache_peer option for specifying parent/sibling caches only, or
> can I specify a web server as a peer? How would squids built-in peer
> monitoring gracefully handle the situation the web server host is
> down. i.e the web server is configured as the httpd_accel host

You can specify most web servers as parents. In Squid-2.5 the
restrictions are
  - The server must be HTTP compliant and accept requests using full
URLS (i.e. http://servername/path/to/file)
  - Persistent connections between Squid and the server won't work.

both these restrictions are gone in Squid-3, or if you apply the rproxy
patch to 2.5.

Squid keeps an eye on peer availability, and automatically declares
unresponsive peers dead until they start responding again. This speeds
up the detection of dead servers considerably.