[squid-users] (Fwd) More flexible logging options?

From: Shawn Wright <swright@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:05:50 -0800

This issue has reared its ugly head once again for us. This time, the 'spyware'
was Sun's Java autoupdater, which caused a single host to hit our proxy about
140 times per second most of yesterday, generating 1.3Gb of denials in our logs,
which are normally from 300-600Mb per day. The server handled the load just
fine, until it ran out of disk space trying to rotate the logs overnight.

Here's a sample log entry:
1143608899.081 3 10.2.120.18 TCP_DENIED/407 945 GET
http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.5.0_03-b07/windows-
i586/jre1.5.0_03.msi - NONE/- text/html

I had a few replies in 2004 on how to deal with this problem, which I will re-visit,
but I'm curious how others are dealing with this issue, and if any new ideas have
come up since then.

We are running 2.5stable9 on Mandrake 9.2.