[squid-users] client_persistent_connections kills performance?

From: lawrence wang <levity@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:16:58 -0500

Hi,
I've been having an issue with high cpu load (70-80%) with traffic
levels of about 150-200 requests per second, average object size 4kb,
99% cache hits.

Today I tried setting "client_persistent_connections off" in
squid.conf, and the average number of open connections dropped, of
course, down from over 2000 to the same as the number of requests per
second.

Cpu load also dropped drastically, to under 10%. This is certainly the
performance improvement I was looking for; however, I'm trying to
understand why this is so drastic. I'd like to leave keepalive on for
when clients use it more (currently, most of the traffic is a single
request per client, but this will change in the future). Does this
have to do with the time spent in select()? Thanks in advance.