Re: [squid-users] are there large customers that run Squid on solaris/sparc platform

From: Francois Verbeek <f_verbeek@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 00:04:03 +0200

Mmm I should have put the list in copy.

Anyways, as requested, a bit more details.

'Typical day' is around 8 hours (only one timezone) of worktime so
that'd be around 55 queries a sec on each machine. But obviously the
load is not equally spread over the day, so we get over 100 req/s at
peak hours on the local machines.

I'm gathering stats with a (very) basic parser of manager output and
injecting this in Cacti (http://www.cacti.net/) for (basic) performance
graphing.

Hardware details here : http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v210/

Caches are at 40GB on each machine (2x20GB on different disks)
All systems running Solaris 8.
cache_swap_low and cache_swap_high are kept at the same value : 95%
otherwise the cleaning of the cache is too disruptive.
Got to use the sleep_after_fork parameter (set at 500 microseconds) for
starting the 30 ntlm_auth processes (queue gets as high as 17 sometimes,
AD's not performing so well..) and half as many squid_ldap_group.
Note that squid_ldap_group is only used in some acls, so it's not so
often started.
Otherwise, as we're running an independant namespace from internet, got
to avoid DNS resolving on the internal proxy for Internet addresses.
Basically, I'm not doing anything with destination ip based access lists.
ACLs are pretty long (several hundred lines) but mainly based on
dstdomain, so parsing is fast enough.

Hope this helps

François