Re: [squid-users] Problem with "WWW-Authenticate"

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:18:46 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I've a problem that puzzles me for some time and I finally decided to
> ask for help. We are trying to access a site:
>
> 194.79.66.154/sites/intelligent_cities/default.aspx
>
> that asks for a username and a password. If in the browser, IE or
> Firefox, I define a direct access to the site, no proxy, it works OK, but if I try
> using Squid as a proxy it returns:

 The site probably uses the NTLM auth. scheme which is nor proxyable.

> "
> You are not authorized to view this page You do not have permission to
> view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied
> because your Web browser is sending a WWW-Authenticate header field that
> the Web server is not configured to accept.
>
> "
>
> I try to use a direct access but with no success, in squid.conf:
> "
> acl plim src 194.79.66.154/0.0.0.0
> always_direct allow plim
> "

  - This will not give you direct access, as this directive is often
misunderstood. It's only meaningfull when cache_peers are being used.

Direct access, is a browser based decision (not using SQUID), which can
be implemented in various ways such as pac files using
subsequent decision trees.

M.