Re: [squid-users] squid -> squidGuard: Redirect_children best practice?

From: Brian Gregory <brian.gregory05@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:57:11 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Mullen" <squid@stabme.com>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:32 PM
Subject: [squid-users] squid -> squidGuard: Redirect_children best practice?

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm finding people with different opinions talking about the redirect_children
> option from within squid.
>
> One is to set it to something like 5, so that you have plenty of ability to
> answer ( like apache? ) and the second is to limit squidGuard children to have
> an equal amount of processes as CPU's in the box.
>
> I've got a company with ~500 employees that this will be blocking with a
> fairly large blacklist. My big concern to this is time from post to proxy.
> With multiple processes starting it seems to dramatically build the time up it
> needs to get to full start.
>
> Thoughts?

Are you "pre-compiling" your domainlists and urllists into *.db files by doing:

squidGuard -C all

??

If not that will greatly speed up the start-up time when there are many squidguard processes starting up.

How are you blocking with https:// URLs??

I find blocked https:// URLs just cause a messy can't access http:443 message when they are blocked.
Have you found any way to tidy that up??

--
Brian Gregory.
brian.gregory05@btconnect.com