Re: [squid-users] 2.6-stable3 performance weirdness with polymix-4 testing

From: Pranav Desai <pranavadesai@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:56:54 -0700

On 8/28/06, Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006, Pranav Desai wrote:
>
> > for (a), shouldnt the disk queue also affect the performance during
> > the first phase of the test. The first phase is almost perfect with no
> > degradation in times.
> > If I may send you the graphs, in which it seems very wrong that the
> > degradation happens so suddenly.
> > Maybe I will try a few test with a longer first phase to see if the
> > disk queue catches up and degrades the performance.

Ok .. this time I tried a 2 phase x 4hr test with a very small fill
phase. But with a tmpfs, so as to completely avoid any issues with
disk. The cache store was 6GB.
It still showed the same weirdness. The second phase completely bombed out.

I am pretty sure that if I run the test with the same setup without
the idle phase i.e. one long phase for 8 hr, it will do just fine.

So there is something that it is doing during the idle phase, maybe
trying to cleanup the queues or something that its just not able to
recover. And when the phase 2 start (which is like 15min after the
idle phase) its not able to sustain any serious load.

Some other observations from mrtg graphs
(http://pd.dnsalias.org/squid/Cache.html)
- The values after midnight is the test.

- The CPU utilization climbs up.
- number of reads/s (cacheSysPerf.cacheSysNumReads) drops drastically,
from 1000/sec in first phase to about 200/s in second phase.
Basically, the sustained req. rate during the second phase is ~
200req/s v/s a 1000 req/s in first phase. And this is not a gradually
decrease.

I will try the same test with 2.5, to see if I see the same results.

--
http://pd.dnsalias.org