Re: [squid-users] cache_dir file systems

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 21:54:23 +0200

On Thursday 07 September 2006 21:22, Dan Thomson wrote:
> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm curious about what
> people think are the "best" file systems to use for your cache dirs.
>
> I've read that ReiserFS and XFS are good choices... is there an
> optimal request rate/request size to take into account? Any other hard
> drive tweaking that have yielded favourable results?

I'm using ext3 and happy with it so far. :) All I remember is that ReiserFS
was a bad choice for the cache_dir in terms of performance. Journalling
made things slow. XFS was among the best. I hope I remember it correctly.

A fast hard disk and avoiding redundancy on RAIDs like RAID-1 will probably
help.

I'd like to extend the question though: does anyone have experience how
much slower the cache becomes when using Linux' LVM? Time and again I
start to become unhappy with my partitioning scheme.

 Christoph