Re: [squid-users] Cache Hierarchy Help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:22:50 +0100

lör 2006-10-28 klockan 20:39 -0700 skrev Bryn Hughes:

> What I don't get is the cache_peer_access stuff.

It's only needed on the backend Squids, and only if you use cache_peer
for routing the requests to the correct webserver.

> The only thing that
> should be accessing either 'back end' squid is the VPS. From the
> example config it's not entirely clear what I should be setting here.

That's controlled in http_access, or firewalling..

> The other thing I'm a bit confused about is how rewrite rules should
> work in this scenario. Should all 3 squid boxes have the same
> rewrite rules? I don't think I want the VPS trying to connect
> directly to the back-end servers without going through the cache
> hierarchy.

Only the Squid closest to the end-users should do the rewrites. Once the
request have hit the Squids it's processed in rewritten form.

If you can I would recommend getting rid of the redirector however.
There really isn't any good reason why redirectors should be used. It's
much better to have the webserver do the right thing.