Re: [squid-users] WCCP2 FreeBSD bandwidth increasing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:28:00 +1300

Reid W. Johnson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am experiencing a strange issue that is more than likely a
> configuration error. I have a FreeBSD(6.1) box running Squid 2.6(9)
> connecting to a Cisco 7206VXR running IOS 12.4. Everything appears to be
> running well and traffic is being cached by the squid server but when I
> start the squid server my utilization on my internet connection goes
> from 10Mbps up to 13-15Mbps. As soon as I shut off squid the utilization
> returns to previous levels. Not much point in having a caching server if
> your internet usage increases. Any ideas what I have done wrong, what
> information would be helpful to diagnose.
>
> Thanks,
> Reid

Take a good look at the machines that are trying to use squid (from
which both directions and location).

I can think of two immediate possibilities, which may or not be right.
You are the one in a position to know and test.

1) You have a few(?) machines configured to use a proxy for updates or
something. When the squid is off they can't do anything (low bandwidth)
but when its on they do their thing.

2) Is there a rule at the FW capping web usage for users or their
netblocks , but excluding the server you have squid on? Heavy users
getting a free web access would explain it.

You will get a better idea yourself of whether its the above or
something else by looking at the connections to-from squid when its active.

AYJ