Re: [squid-users] Another HTTP 1.1 Question

From: Chris Nighswonger <cnighswonger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:25:11 -0500

On 3/8/07, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> That smells more like a tcp windows issue than an HTTP/1.1 issue..
>
> If on Linux try the following workaround:
>
> echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
>
> this works around quite many broken firewalls not coping well with
> window scaling, but significantly scarifies performance over long
> distance connections (measured in RTT * bandwidth, not miles)...

Here: http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/ I found this workaround:

---snip---
With kernel 2.6.17.13 or higher, you can also do:

THEIR_IP=1.2.3.4
MY_GATEWAY=5.6.7.8

ip route add $THEIR_IP/32 via $MY_GATEWAY window 65535

which only limits window scaling for that destination without
interfering with your other connections

---end snip---

Any thoughts? Better or worse than the other?

> For what it's worth I had no problem loading the start page using
> Firefox via Squid-2.

What OS are you running squid-2 over?

Thanks,
Chris