Re: [squid-users] maximum netowrk interfaces

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 02:31:17 +0100

fre 2007-03-09 klockan 10:20 +1000 skrev
William.Z.Holder@transport.qld.gov.au:

> does anyone know the maximum number of virtual interfaces that can be
> created on a Linux box? I've got a proposal being shoved at me to create a
> virtual interface per section here at work and have individual squids
> listening to those interfaces (don't get me started on how bad that idea
> is).

Not sure where the limit is on number of virtual network interfaces
(vlan etc), but it's at least in the range of several thousands.

Having multiple Squid instance brings more limitations than the virtual
interfaces as such, as the Squids will all compete for CPU and memory..
but again, assuming you have sufficient amounts of both there is no
specific limits..

but the idea seems a little crazy if you need very many.. probably
better to consolidate the Squids a bit.. (maybe even a single Squid).