[squid-users] Prefetch and Push for satellite connections?

From: Mike Dawson <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:21:19 +0430

Hello All,

I've done some googling and searching of the mailing lists and I wanna
see what direction I should go to make Squid pre-fetch the img, link,
and javascript elements and then push them to the server on the other
side of a satellite connection. I would have expected it to be a more
common situation... (we're here in Afghanistan - no choice... - two way
sat connection)

I noticed: http://www.online.ee/~andre/squid/prefetch/ - which basically
found that pre-fetching the images was relatively effective... - 60-70%
as one might imagine...

I also saw that there has been a push patch - but the pushproxy.com
domain now seems to be gone...

http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg26134.html

Essentially my opinion is that the ideal satellite caching system would
be two squids - one that would sit in our data centre and would parse
the content for pre-fetch - any images, css, or javascripts and then
send the page and the additional contents to the local cache here in
Afghanistan. Additionally I'm using Ziproxy to compress the content
before it goes over the satellite connection - though I believe that
perhaps this can be integrated into squid or remain separate.

The problem at the moment as one can imagine with the latency is that
the browser requests a page - it reads the page and then requests the
content that goes along with it - this would be massively useful to help
organizations here get things done... and in an open source sustainable
manner.

I notice that the Push is in the stale category - I would appreciate any
advice from the community about how best to proceed and I can then
definitely start putting together a howto page to help others on a
similar connection (debian based probably)...

Many Thanks,

-Mike