Re: [squid-users] Prefetch and Push for satellite connections?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:50:05 +0800

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007, Mike Dawson wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've done some googling and searching of the mailing lists and I wanna
> see what direction I should go to make Squid pre-fetch the img, link,
> and javascript elements and then push them to the server on the other
> side of a satellite connection. I would have expected it to be a more
> common situation... (we're here in Afghanistan - no choice... - two way
> sat connection)

Ah, push caching. This is something I've had a few people ask from your
general area over the last 6 months (iran, iraq, afghanistan).

The short and long of it is:

* Yes, push caching is a great idea, especially if you run satellite links
  which you can multipoint-drop popular content down by transmitting once.

* Yup, people got Squid to do it in the past, but that stuff is stale.

* It would be nice to get it into Squid in some form again.

So if people are interested then please let me know; if there's room to
fund a project with time and/or money then I'm happy to help people
get it done.

(I did some push caching experiments when I first got involved in IP
over satellite way back in 1997, so I know quite a bit about how
prefetching and distributed multicast-type content setups. I just
couldn't talk about it then.)

Adrian