Re: [squid-users] size and speed vs performance

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:57:37 +0200

tis 2007-04-10 klockan 10:53 -0400 skrev Zak Thompson:

> Is there a big performance difference in say a machine with 4x250 sata
> 7200rom drives vs 4x150gb 10krpm sata drives? Each machine has 8Gb ram these
> squids are acting as content cache from a san.

I would expect the 10K drives to be a bit faster, but it depends. The
number you need to compare is the seek time. Raw I/O bandwidth is not
that important when pushing the limits, seek time is far more important
when pushing the limits of Squid disk I/O.

But I don't think you will see a big speed difference between these,
having 4 drives and a lot of RAM. Quite likely CPU will be your first
bottleneck assuming everything is reasonably tuned.

But I should also say that max load estimations of reverse proxies is a
bit hard without knowing the actual workload. Each site is different.