[squid-users] cache_peer - multiple ones

From: Gareth Edmondson <gje@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 22:49:21 +0100

Hi,

After searching the archives, I've decided to ask here.

We have setup a Debian Etch box which uses squid to access an upstream
proxy run by the education authority. They have given us a username and
password and it all works on port 8080 (after challenging us for our
Active Directory username and password). We have the line:

cache_peer <upstreamproxyname> 8080 parent 7 <and then all the other
stuff) - I do not have access to it here.

Our web browser then points to the Debian box as a proxy on
10.180.8.4:8080 - web browsing is fine. The problem arises when we want
to access 443/https websites. The LEA require that we connect again
through 8080 but use Squid to point to 443 - so I have added another line.

cache_peer <upstreamproxyname> 443 parent 7 <and then all the other stuff>

Now this threw up an error along the lines of having two cache_peer
names the same. So we edited the hosts file in DNS setting a name to
resolve to the same IP address. The line now reads:

cache_peer sslproxy 443 parent 7 <and then all the other stuff>

We thought this would work - but it didn't, so we edited the
cache_peer_access line to say 'cache_peer_access sslproxy allow CONNECT'.

Everything seems to be working. However when we try and connect to the
443 website it challenges us again for the AD username and password.
Upon entering this the browser challenges us again and again and again -
simply not letting us through.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas why this would be. If I have not
explained it properly please do let me know and I will provide more
information.

Many thanks in advance,

Gareth Edmondson