Re: [squid-users] cache_peer - multiple ones

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:04:14 -0800

gje@indigo-cube.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Okay - I've followed those instructions and squid reloads the configuration file without any
> issues.

To be clear, you are using the same domain name or IP address in both
definitions of the parent proxy, correct? You are no longer using the
"real" domain for one, and a fabricated domain (found only in the hosts
file), or a second DNS A record for the other.

> Browsing on port 8080 works, but once again 443 is challenging me for my credentials even though I
> have turned off all authentication.

Where did you turn off authentication? At the parent proxy, or in the
cache_peer definition?

> The thing about squid is, it is selecting the correct proxy (or cache_peer), however, it is not
> sending the proxy authentication headers (login details) to the upstream proxy in the case of the
> HTTPS (CONNECT method) requests.

If you have removed the login=username:password argument from the
cache_peer directive, you won't (I think) get prompted for a password.
You'd just be denied by the upstream proxy for not providing
authentication credentials.

> I have no idea why not, and suspect a bug/glitch in squid it's self. Could this be looked at? I'm
> not sure how to do this. Or how I prove it it a bug.

I'll see if I can find the time to set up a test lab with a similar
setup (parent proxy listening on two ports, both require authentication,
child proxy using one port for SSL) and report back. Some days afford
more free time than others. :o)

> Cheers
>
> GJE

Chris