[squid-users] authentication and user based filtering

From: <William.Z.Holder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:11:36 +1000

Guys,

      I'm looking for an open source solution to this problem...

      1. Using Squid as a proxy (works fine)
      2. Authenticate users off Novell e-directory (works fine)
      3. filter content using blacklists (works fine)
      4. filter content based on user access - a field in LDAP (no idea how
to get this to work)

      What I need is that Joe Manager is in group 'god' so he gets access
to everything. While Mary Engineer is in group 'technical' and 'news' so
she only gets access to sites that are the technical and news whitelists,
BUT if the site is in the blacklists it gets blocked regardless of group.

      I'm stuck on how to get a filter solution that will query LDAP to get
the groups for the users and then filter on that. Or is this something that
should be done by Squid.

      I'm open to suggestions.

Bill Holder
Senior IT Engineer
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT DIVISION | Queensland Transport
Creating business confidence

B1, 477 Boundary Street, Spring Hill QLD 4000
P: 07 3834 5922 F: 07 3834 2911
E: william.z.holder@transport.qld.gov.au

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way. No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.