Re: [squid-users] Solaris 10, Squid-2.6.stable13

From: <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:22:33 +1200 (NZST)

> That very well could be DNS related. When I don't set the "visible_host"
> and I attempt to create the cache, squid complains about needing to set
> the visible_host parameter. The squid server sits behind a cisco router,
> so it doesn't have a FQDN, only a relative and private name.
>
> Do you have any recommendations, my dns servers ns1 and ns2.linuxlouis.net
> resolve correctly for all of the external Internet known domains I serve,
> but again the inside system bandaboo1 doesn't have a FQDN.
>
> Any ideas?

DNS and rDNS are broken.
All Internet conected hosts should have an FQDN that their IP rDNS points
to. It should be constructed using the unique machine name and the
companies official domain name (would that be linuxlouise.net.?).
A machine which has no rDNS on the modern internet, particularly a proxy,
is just asking for connection problems.

Amos