[squid-users] FreeBSD Squid timeout issue

From: Dave <dmehler26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:59:27 -0400

Hello,
    This is a strange one. I've got a FreeBSD 6.2 router with squid on it
for transparent proxy. It has been working fine, until about 3 days ago when
i noticed one of my internal machines wasn't completing an http transaction,
in this case downloading of it's ports index. The connection would start out
extremely slowly and eventually timeout then giving an error about a
truncated file. I checked my firewall, hard disks, debug logs, messages
everything, couldn't find any error msgs or anything obviously wrong. This
morning an internal machine, this one a centos box, began failing with it's
yum updates, giving timeout errors on retrieving rpm files from http sites.
Again, i ran the log checks, didn't see anything. So, i next checked the
firewall, nothing in debug.log or messages, but in the /usr/local/squid/logs
directory i found two things. The first was that the failed transactions
were all returning http response code 206, timeout? The second was that i
had a 43 mb core file. I shut down squid, turned off the transparent
redirect rule in my firewall and everything started working normally. If
this core file is useful in debugging i'd like to know what to do or where
to send it, i can post it on a web page if interested. I'd appreciate any
suggestions.
    The squid version used is 2.6.13, memory and cpu usage during the times
in question are not even moving, this system is not in any way heavily
loaded.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.