Re: [squid-users] Squid consumin swap

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:26:41 +0200

fre 2007-07-13 klockan 10:54 -0400 skrev Osmany:
> It's been a long time since I first had this problem. I have modified,
> changed, erased, added configurations but I still don't see what's the
> problem. My squid consumes swap until it takes it all and the service goes
> down. I have 3.0Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM to offer internet service to
> more than 560 users authenticated. This is the cache configuration that I
> have right now.
>

> cache_mem 256 MB
>
> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid/cache 20480 16 256

The above is a bit tight for 512MB of ram..

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory#head-09818ad4cb8a1dfea1f51688c41bdf4b79a69991

Also your Squid version 2.5.STABLE6 is quite old. I'd seriously
recommend an upgrade to rule out that you are running into some old
already fixed problem. There has been very many memory leaks fixed since
that release..

> I'm concerned about the swap maxsize. I don't know if I'm wrong but it says
> that I have 20GB when I only have 1GB of swap available in the system
> (RedHat Enterprise Linux 4).

The "swap" reported by Squid is the size of your cache_dir. It's not
related to the system swap space, or swapping.