Re: [squid-users] What is the most data anyone has cached with squid?

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:42:02 -0300 (BRT)

Mark Vickers disse na ultima mensagem:
> I was thinking of building several boxes with between 10TB and 20TB of
> SATA drives, for some squid caches.
>
> Has any used squid to cache that much data?
>
> Any idea what the upper limit is? The practical limit?

Hi
not sure if you will get something reasonable out of Sata drives ...

My experience is that a small ISP/POP *might* work reasonable with Sata
but more than ~100GB of cache_dir size seems the max. Soon squid passes
2-2500requ/min or so a Sata drive seems to reach it's limit and the hit
rate drops. Whatever configuration, with Sata under load, you often can
feel the queue when the page does not load as usual.

With scsi I have used 3x300GB disks for caches but seems too big and seems
that a reasonable size is just up to 1Tb but obviously depends on object
size and number of connected clientes. The limit seems to be set by squid
and not by the hardware.

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.