Re: [squid-users] Caching authenticated documents

From: René GARCIA <rene@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:24:31 +0200 (CEST)

Le Lun 6 août 2007 15:33, Henrik Nordstrom a écrit :
> On ons, 2007-08-01 at 10:23 +0200, René GARCIA wrote:
>

>> If I make the server respond "Cache-control: public,proxy-revalidate"
>> in headers the document is not cached.
>
> Do the document have any cache validator? (Last-Modified/ETag)
>

> Without a cache validator there is nothing the cache can use to ask the
> origin server if the document has been changed, and it won't be cached
> unless it's considered fresh for some time (by default min 60 seconds).

Yes, the Etag/Last-Modified are sent but after a long search I finally
understand what was going wrong. My web server is a Sun One Web Server
6.1, it sends the Cache-Control header only on HTTP/1.1 requests. Squid
only sends HTTP/1.0 requests to the web server so the Cache-Control header
was never sent even if your browser sends HTTP/1.1 requests to squid. I
had to force the webserver to send the Cache-Control header on each reply.
Now it works fine. It makes an ugly config file for Sun One but finally I
managed squid to cache authenticated documents and to check user access
for each request.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,
René