Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:38:17 -0300 (BRT)

Adrian Chadd disse na ultima mensagem:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>
>> Or simply, what is the best compilation parameters to use on a
>> Linux/Unix machine if I want to use aufs?
>>

>> coss at first seemed a good choice but it's long rebuilding process is
>> not suitable for production use.
>
> We know how to fix COSS. Time (ie, funding) is the only issue here.
> We'd love to work with any groups who would be willing to help fund
> an effort to mature Squid's storage code (post Squid-3.0, which is
> almost ready from what I hear) into something 21st-century compliant.

nice words but IMO the fs usage is kind of fine-tuning because the
difference between the actual competitors aufs and coss is not sooo big

but what this and next year (and not century) is about is SMP, soon and I
guess very soon you might not be able to buy single cores anymore, when I
said a year ago all people will run quad-cores in 07/08 I got laughed at
but look at the marked, that is what it is and so I guess making squid SMP
friendly is way more important but who knows if we have soon globally
unlimited bandwidth and don't need caches anymore :) what sure will happen
first if you stay thinking of "centuries" in computer business :)

please don't hate me, nothing personal ok you just picked the wrong word
to compare and I couldn't hold it back :)

michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.