Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:43:02 +0800

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007, Michel Santos wrote:

> nice words but IMO the fs usage is kind of fine-tuning because the
> difference between the actual competitors aufs and coss is not sooo big

Yeah, but the difference between AUFS/COSS and whats actually possible and
done in the commercial world - and documented in plenty of thesis papers
out there - is a -lot-. I'm talking double, triple the small object (<256k)
size.

> but what this and next year (and not century) is about is SMP, soon and I
> guess very soon you might not be able to buy single cores anymore, when I
> said a year ago all people will run quad-cores in 07/08 I got laughed at
> but look at the marked, that is what it is and so I guess making squid SMP
> friendly is way more important but who knows if we have soon globally
> unlimited bandwidth and don't need caches anymore :) what sure will happen
> first if you stay thinking of "centuries" in computer business :)
>
> please don't hate me, nothing personal ok you just picked the wrong word
> to compare and I couldn't hold it back :)

And I'd love to continue work on the test SMP proxy code I've been working on
on the side here, but to continue that I need money. Its easy to code this
stuff when you're working for someone who is happy to pay you to do open source
stuff that benefits them, but I'm doing this for fun. Maybe I shouldn't,
I ain't getting paid (much.) There's only so many 45 minute bus trips
to/from university a day atm.

There's plenty of examples of multi-threaded network servers out there.
Whats stopping Squid from taking advantage of that is about 6 months of
concentrated work from some people who have the clue and time. None of
us with the clue have any time, and noone else has stepped up to the
plate and offered assistance (time, money, etc.) We'd love to work on it
but the question is "so how do we eat".

Adrian