Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:14:17 -0300 (BRT)

Adrian Chadd disse na ultima mensagem:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007, Michel Santos wrote:
>
>> nice words but IMO the fs usage is kind of fine-tuning because the
>> difference between the actual competitors aufs and coss is not sooo big
>
> Yeah, but the difference between AUFS/COSS and whats actually possible and
> done in the commercial world - and documented in plenty of thesis papers
> out there - is a -lot-. I'm talking double, triple the small object
> (<256k)
> size.

I must admit I can't talk in there because I never could test it really
but I do not convinve myself easy by reading papers.

> And I'd love to continue work on the test SMP proxy code I've been working
> on
> on the side here, but to continue that I need money. Its easy to code this
> stuff when you're working for someone who is happy to pay you to do open
> source
> stuff that benefits them, but I'm doing this for fun. Maybe I shouldn't,
> I ain't getting paid (much.) There's only so many 45 minute bus trips
> to/from university a day atm.
>
> There's plenty of examples of multi-threaded network servers out there.
> Whats stopping Squid from taking advantage of that is about 6 months of
> concentrated work from some people who have the clue and time. None of
> us with the clue have any time, and noone else has stepped up to the
> plate and offered assistance (time, money, etc.) We'd love to work on it
> but the question is "so how do we eat".

I agree, completely understandable

but look, easy to code but 6 month of concentrated work ar not so really
the same things ... ;)

Michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.