Re: [squid-users] webmails are not accessible - SQUID 2.5.STABLE12

From: <shijjawi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 17:19:04 +0400

Hello Tek,

Thank you for your help, actually I meant private webmails like my
company's one that has the central exchange server in the head office
taking in consideration that my network is not a subnet from their
network, hotmail is running normally, Yahoo, Gmail .... etc.

I am still beginner in this field but I could tell you that the proxy
itself is acting as a firewall, no specific protocol filtration and here
is the acl for the SSL port:

acl SSL_ports port 443 563
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports

acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
http_access deny !Safe_ports

The machine hosting the squid is directly connected to the router, as I
mentioned before it is the firewall also and no ACL are there!
No it is not running in the transparent mode!

Before deploying the SQUID, this webmail was normally opening.

When trying to access a specific webmail like
http://mailhost.ccc.com.om/mail it is giving the following:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure
you are connected.
Retype the address.

let my upgrade it then I will feed you back.

thank you so much.

regards,
Simsam HIJJAWI

Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np>
09/05/2007 04:44 PM

shijjawi@wddjv.com
cc
<squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Subject
Re: [squid-users] webmails are not accessible - SQUID 2.5.STABLE12

Hi Simsam,

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:12:58 +0400
shijjawi@wddjv.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have SQUID 2.5 server implemented on SUSE linux enterprise 10.
> No access lists are there, the http traffic has no problems.
>
> I could not access any webmail! I have edited the squid.conf file to
build
> time based ACL and it worked, but even before I did that, webmails were
> not accessible!

Which webmails are you indicating? Hotmail, Yahoo, etc? Most of them use
HTTPS. What's your ACL for SSL_ports?

Are you running Squid in transparent mode? Also are you filtering traffic
with some kind of firewall? Do you have an parent cache or a firewall in
front of your squid box?

What error message does your Squid cache give you when you try to access
webmails? What does cache.log and access.log say?

Try accessing webmails such as myway.com with and without secure mode and
check if you can access it's webmail with HTTP and HTTPS.

> Is it a common issue? Please advise.

It's not a common issue. I can't imagine what thousands of clients will
say if they can't access the webmail service of Hotmail and Yahoo! And
there are thousands of other webmail sites.

I would also recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of Squid which
is 2.6.STABLE14 currently.

You can find the source package from the link below:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/squid-2.6.STABLE14.tar.gz

Hope it helps.

Thanking you...

> regards,