[squid-users] Re: Cache files of size .....

From: RW <fbsd06@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:22:53 +0100

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:18:47 +0200
Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> On 10.09.07 18:32, Umesh Upreti wrote:
> > It's obviously 200 thousand Kb that means 200MB approx. and as per
> > you said I have left replacement policy default that is least
> > recently used (LRU).
>
> this is very inefficient, try "heap lru" at least, but with such big
> files I'd use "heap LFUDA" to spare bandwidth.

Is that really true? I thought it was the other way around, there's a
comment in the source that "heap lru" is only there for testing
purposes.

A heap gives you a priority queue where you can efficiently sort-in an
object with any priority value, and easily access one end of the queue.
With LRU you only need to insert at the end, so a heap gives an
unnecessary overhead.