Re: [squid-users] Caching Expired Objects

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:36:17 +0200

On tis, 2007-09-18 at 09:25 -0700, Solomon Asare wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
> since you say so, I have rather been toying with the
> idea of saving these supposedly expired objects in an
> apache document root and using the url_rewrite of the
> squid to fetch the objects from my apache server. I
> hope the bandwidth savings will justify the bandwidth
> cost in repopulating the apache with these objects.
> Its about bandwidth!

That's pretty much the same as using refresh_pattern to give Squid a
long freshness for those objects, or actually worse as you give the
objects completely new HTTP meta information.

If I were you I would use refresh_pattern, overriding the expiry
information of these objects. Much less intrusive to the HTTP flow.