Re: [squid-users] Problems with Internet Explorer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:17:18 +1300

Alvlin wrote:
> El 17 Noviembre 2007, escribió:
>> There are many know problems with IE.
>>
>> More details please:
>> What release of squid 2.6s? ?
>> Version of IE ?
>> Page that fails ?
>> Does it work fine on the given machine if others are not
>> connected/active? Or any machine if 10+ are connected?
>>

>> Also, I see you have sent cache_log of problems to /dev/null.
>> We recommend having one always set and at least logging debug_options
>> ALL,0 to it so you can see any major problems occuring.
>>
>> Amos
>
> Amos, thanks for your answer.
> According to Linux Packages (the site from which I downloaded the package)
> this is version 2.6 STABLE 16
>
> The machine has Windows XP SP2, so IE is 6 sp2
>
> Every page fails, IE just shows the homepage and then fails with the first or
> second page showed.
>
> It fails on certain machines only. I tried today at the same time on two
> different machines and it works perfectly on one and fails in the other. They
> were only 5 machines connected at that time.
>
> The owner of the machines (a friend) told me that this only happens on four
> machines added to the network after the others. Really strange thing :(
>
> The weirdest thing is: Before, the squid cache was set to 5 GB, but in the
> server this was too much (is a Celeron running at 600 MHz with ~380MB of RAM)
> and it was not responding well (it was doing too much swapping), so I reduced
> the size to 1 GB. According to my friend, the problem started after this. I
> don't remember if I touched something else, but I'm pretty sure I didn't...
>
> I'll activate the logs, they were disabled just because I didn't want to
> configure log rotation :P I actually enable the access_log trying to see if
> there was any issue, but reading your comment makes me think that I enabled
> the wrong log file :P

Maybe,
access.log will show the requests being made and served. So will show
whether the IE are actually using squid of not.
cache.log will show any major problems squid encounters, along with
optionally the internal processing for testing and debug.

In your place I'd be checking how the IE are configured to use squid.
manual setting of proxy name, manual setting PAC, or auto detection?
(maybe the old ones were manually setup, new ones automatic) then
checking the squid access.log and cache.log to see whether the requests
are being received or what.
If there is any possibility they are trying to go direct and
encountering a firewall oddity. Of if squid is failing to process for
any reason.

Amos