[squid-users] Updates: Squid-2.6.STABLE18; ongoing squid-2 work

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:30:44 +0900

Hi all,

If you've been following the blog (http://squidproxy.wordpress.com/) then
you'll already know that:

* A Squid-2.6.STABLE18 release candidate is out which fixes another
  potential crash situation; if you're running Squid-2.6 then please
  update to either the RC1 or the Stable release if/when its uploaded;

* I've been asked "Why are you developing squid-2 when squid-3 is out?"
  and so I've posted some background and information about what I'm
  working on in my free time.

* There's a comment there about Squid vs Varnish in the comments section.
  I'm happy to write up a better analysis of Squid vs Varnish, but
  in summary:

  = The varnish author is mostly right about Squid architecture; not surprising
    since its code roots are from the mid 90s;
  = Varnish is however very workload specific - fantastic for small object workloads
    which fit in RAM, but degrades very quickly for larger objects or very large
    data sets;
  = Some of the ideas phk has implemented in Varnish have been implemented
    in Squid-2 (my logging helper uses local sockets to pump data to a non-blocking
    helper, and under some OSes local sockets + page sized buffers == zero copy)
  = Some of the ideas phk has implemented in Varnish are making it into my
    Squid-2 development branch as time permits
  = He was paid to do Varnish; I'm doing this for free; this has implications
    on available time. :)

Adrian