Re: [squid-users] problem with virtualy simple HTML page proxying

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 23:21:54 +1300

Zoran Milenkovic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE13 installed on Fedora Core 6
> Linux 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6. Squid is configured in very usual manner,
> internal hosts are only allowed to reach Internet using proxy server,
> and the rest of squid configuration is left by default. Everything works
> perfectly, but only one thing DOESN'T work! Users cannot reach one
> specific HTML page:
> http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html
>
> In the squid access.log nothing seems to be wrong:
> 1201958794.061 300 192.168.0.24 TCP_MISS/200 314 GET
> http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html -
> DIRECT/194.79.41.40 text/html
>
> ...but instead of page, users get an empty page from proxy server!
> Without proxy, the page is getting displayed correctly.
>
> I would like to add that's the case only with that particular page on
> this site (www.nbs.yu) Everything else goes fine. Also, I was able to
> reproduce this error with other squid servers.
>
> At the other side, I would like my users to reach web contents through
> squid without any exeptions, if possible. So I would like to ask is this
> problem with squid, this particular webpage, or something else? And how
> could I solve this problem?

I have tested this here (through a squid-3) and seen this behaviour on
that page.
 From the headers it looks like there are at least two servers providing
that site. When that page is retrieved directly from Apache it returns a
custom 404 page etc, etc.

There is also something identifying itself as an "OpenCMS/5.0.0" server
which returns a set of 404 headers without a page body.

It is likely that second result got into your cache somehow.
You can temporarily clear the results with a
squidclient -m PURGE
http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html

But there is nothing you can do long-term as a visitor until the admin
of nbs.yu fixes their CMS.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+