Re: [squid-users] problem with virtualy simple HTML page proxying

From: Zoran Milenkovic <mizoran@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:44:01 +0100

> Zoran Milenkovic wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE13 installed on Fedora Core 6 Linux
>> 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6. Squid is configured in very usual manner, internal
>> hosts are only allowed to reach Internet using proxy server, and the rest
>> of squid configuration is left by default. Everything works perfectly,
>> but only one thing DOESN'T work! Users cannot reach one specific HTML
>> page: http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html
>>
>> In the squid access.log nothing seems to be wrong:
>> 1201958794.061 300 192.168.0.24 TCP_MISS/200 314 GET
>> http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html -
>> DIRECT/194.79.41.40 text/html
>>
>> ...but instead of page, users get an empty page from proxy server!
>> Without proxy, the page is getting displayed correctly.
>>
>> I would like to add that's the case only with that particular page on
>> this site (www.nbs.yu) Everything else goes fine. Also, I was able to
>> reproduce this error with other squid servers.
>>
>> At the other side, I would like my users to reach web contents through
>> squid without any exeptions, if possible. So I would like to ask is this
>> problem with squid, this particular webpage, or something else? And how
>> could I solve this problem?
>
> I have tested this here (through a squid-3) and seen this behaviour on
> that page.
> From the headers it looks like there are at least two servers providing
> that site. When that page is retrieved directly from Apache it returns a
> custom 404 page etc, etc.
>
> There is also something identifying itself as an "OpenCMS/5.0.0" server
> which returns a set of 404 headers without a page body.
>
> It is likely that second result got into your cache somehow.
> You can temporarily clear the results with a
> squidclient -m PURGE
> http://www.nbs.yu/internet/cirilica/scripts/bankeMenjaci/index.html
>
> But there is nothing you can do long-term as a visitor until the admin of
> nbs.yu fixes their CMS.
>
> Amos
> --
> Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+
> There are serious security advisories out on all earlier releases.

Dear Amos,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try to contact web admin of the nbs.yu website and describe the
problem.

OT: Could you please point me out the literature about tools and/or methods
you have used to find out what is going on with this website/problem? Of
course, if there is something like that and if it's possible. Thanks again!

--
TIA
Zoran Milenkovic, dipl.ing.el.