Re: [squid-users] problem with wccp v2 and cisco

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:35:24 +0900

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008, Ritter, Nicholas wrote:
> Adrian-
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Question is, if I am listening with squid on port 80, do I still need to
> run iptables? I thought iptables was only needed to do redirect from
> port 80 to 3128 if squid was not or could not be un on port 80.

No. The traffic being redirected via WCCPv2 just rewrites the next hop
in the forwarding path; making it go down a GRE tunnel or rewriting the
destination MAC address.

The packet arriving at your cache still has the original source/destination.
iptables/etc is needed to redirect packets destined for ANYHOST:80 to
LOCALHOST:3128 .

> Does any happen to know which Cisco IOS versions work with WCCP v2 and
> squid? I find people saying it is buggy and to start with a known
> working version and work your way up to a needed release, but I can't
> seem to confirm a known working version.

Whats your hardware?

Adrian