RE: [squid-users] problem with wccp v2 and cisco

From: Ritter, Nicholas <Nicholas.Ritter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:25:19 -0600

I am running a Cisco 2811 with 12.4(15)T3 Advanced Security IOS.

The squid server is a custom built box with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
800MHz FSB
4GB RAM
250GB SATAII storage

The squid server is intended to provided target caching of specific
sites internally and servicing an 10/100 switched ethernet LAN with
about 30 to 50 computers on it. Topologically the LAN is connected via a
fractional T1, with the 2811 router serving as the gateway router which
has a 4 port Etherswitch WIC installed. The LAN is plugged into
FastEthernet 0/0.1 and the squid server is attached to one of the ports
on the 4 port etherswitch card in the router. The LAN on FastEthernet
0/0.1 is a CIDR /23, and the subnet on the 4 port etherswitch card is a
CIDR /24. Both subnets are in the same CIDR /16.

I have confirmed so far that:

1) Redirection to 3128 from 80 from a client in the /23 is working fine.
This was tested via pointing the browser settings to the squid server
IP, but on port 80. This was done only after I did the same test on
3128.

2) I am seeing traffic come down the GRE tunnel to the squid server (via
ifconfig on the squid server), and I am seeing the packets being
redirected as noted on the router via 'sh ip wccp'

3) The squid server does not even see the stuff coming in when
redirected via the router. When I shutoff iptables and run tcpdump, I
see the traffic redirected from the router, but running tcpdump with
iptables enabled does not show the traffic.

I am doing the redirection via an 'ip wccp web-cache redirect in'
interface statement on the FastEthernet0/0.1 interface, although appling
the same rule to other interfaces and directions has not changed the
outcome.

I have come to find that many of the transparent squid proxy guides on
the Internet are either out of date or simply missing steps.

Doesn't iptables need an additional masqurade or mangle rule(s)? Because
of what I have seen so far, I now think the problems is with iptables.