Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:17:48 +0900

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008, Michael Puckett wrote:
> Mark Nottingham wrote:
> >
> >A killer app for -3 would be multi-core support (and the perf
> >advantages that it would bring), or something else that the
> >re-architecture makes possible that isn't easy in -2. AIUI, though,
> >that isn't the case; i.e., -3 doesn't make this significantly easier.
> Absolutely THE killer app for either -2 or -3. The fact that multi-core
> processors are now the defacto standard in any box makes this more
> important by the day IMHO. Being able to do sustained IO across multiple
> Gb NICs will absolutely require it. This is the single biggest
> performance enhancement that could be implemented. So where does
> multi-core support fall on either roadmap?

12 months away on my draft Squid-2 roadmap, if there was enough commercial
interest. Thing is, the Squid internals are very horrible for SMP (both 2 and 3)
and the list of stuff that I've put into the squid-2 roadmap is what I think
is the minimum amount of work required before really starting to take advantage
of multiple cores.

Adrian