Re: [squid-users] automatic migration of config files from 2.6 to 3.0

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:41:03 +1300

Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a utility that comes with squid 3.0 package that will
>> automatically
>> migrate any existing lower version squid configuration to reflect with the
>> new version? I know this sounds a lazy kind of administration technique,
>> but these will help a lot on proxy farms especially you have different
>> type
>> of machines and specs..
>>
>> Just curious about it.
>
> There is nothing to do automatic migration. Individual setups are just too
> individual.
> I planned to make one but settled with an online validator similar to the
> ones W3C provide to assist updating old configuration to 2.6. It takes
> your squid.conf and marks each line as OK, EVIL, USELESS, or CHANGE-TO-___
>
> http://squid.treenet.co.nz/cf.check/
>
> When 3.0 came out I got trapped into 3.1 updates and bugs rather than the
> planned 3.0 support in the validator :-( If you poke me a few times,
> 2.6stable18 and 3.x rules might happen over this month.

FYI, one kick was enough to get me halfway through the change list.
There is now an experimental 3.0 validator up.

Just be aware that as long as it says (experimental) there are a few new
options it will wrongly mark as 'not present'.
All such should be checked in cfgman and release notes as to why and
whats replaced them.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+