Re: [squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:49:32 +0100

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 05:31 -0700, Raemaekers Mark wrote:
> What mode of WC (so transparent or accelerator) will
> give me the best performance and why ? Or is there no
> difference with respect to performance ?

The different modes is not about performance but different use cases.

accelerator or reverse proxy -> Squid sits infront of your own web
server (or one you host), offloading traffic from the web server. The
DNS is registered so that Internet users visiting your site contact the
Squid server.

transparent interception -> Squid sits in the path of your LAN users
outgoing web traffic and port 80 traffic is transparently diverted to
the proxy by firewall rules. This is a workaround to make all LAN client
HTTP traffic go via the proxy even if they haven't configured the proxy
settings correct.

normal proxy -> The clients is configured to use the proxy, either
manuall or via automatic means such as WPAD.

accelerator more is Internet users -> your web server.

transparent interception and normal mode is your local LAN users going
out to random web servers out on the Internet.